General Hospital #8
Information about General Hospital #8 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #8 was also called Saint Charles Hospital. It had formerly been the building of Saint Charles Hotel.
It opened as early as July 1861 and was open as late as the fall of 1863. The cost was partially borne by the City of Richmond.
The hospital had 460 patients on August 13, 1861. H. A. Dudley was the superintendent.
General Hospital #8 was built in 1846 on the site of the ancient Bowler's and Bell taverns.
It was located on the northeast corner of Wall [15th] and Main Streets, facing Main.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.