General Hospital #28
Information about General Hospital #28 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #28 was also called Danville Railroad hospital and Railroad Shops Hospital. It was formerly a shops building in the railroad repair yards of Richmond and Danville Railroad which was a single-storied, brick, building. It had several natural springs nearby.
The hospital was opened on July 10, 1862 as a Surgical hospital with 416 beds. Dr. Abraham Schultz Miller was the surgeon-in-charge.
General Hospital #27 was located in Manchester, Virginia on the James River just east of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad bridge. The present site is just east of the south end of Manchester Bridge.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.