General Hospital #13
Information about General Hospital #13 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #13 was also called Castle Thunder Hospital, Prison Hospital, and Lunatic Hospital. It was the former tobacco factory of Christian and Lea company which was a four-storied, flat-roofed, brick building.
It opened before June 1862 and was a hospital for prisoners at Castle Thunder and mental cases. At first mental patients were kept at Castle Thunder in quarters with a capacity of 50 but then were moved to this building with other prison patients.
General Hospital #13 had a capacity of over 150, with over 30 employees. Dr. W. W. Coggin was the surgeon-in-charge.
The hospital was used for a short time by Federal occupation forces.
General Hospital #13 was located on the east-side of 20th Street, between Main and Franklin Streets, the present site of 21-3 North 20th Street.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.