General Hospital #24
Information about General Hospital #24/Harwood's Factory Prison in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #24 functioned as both a hospital and a prison (Harwood's Factory Prison) during the Civil War.
General Hospital #24 was also called Moore’s Hospital, Harwood’s Hospital, and North Carolina hospital. It was formerly the tobacco factory of George D. Harwood which was a three-storied, flat-roofed, brick building.
The hospital was opened in the summer of 1861 and first used for Union prisoners. It had a capacity over 120. with 30 employees. It was taken over by North Carolina on July 29, 1864. Rosa Lee Sanxay was the matron and Dr. Otis Frederick Manson was the surgeon-in-charge.
General Hospital #24 was located on the southwest corner of 26th and Main Streets.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.