General Hospital #15
Information about General Hospital #15/ Crew & Pemberton's Warehouse Prison in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #15 functioned as both a hospital and a prison (Crew & Pemberton's Warehouse) during the Civil War.
General Hospital #15 was also called Crew's Hospital, and Crew and Pemberton Hospital. It was formerly the tobacco factory of Crew and Pemberton and was a four-storied, brick building.
The hospital was opened around June 1862 with a capacity of over 200. Drs. H. C. Scott, G. B. Moore, and W. T. Bell were in charge. After September 25, 1862 it was converted to barracks for convalescent or traveling solders. It was destroyed in evacuation fire.
General Hospital was located on the northwest corner of 21st and Cary Streets.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.