General Hospital #17
Information about General Hospital #17 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #17 was also called Fourth Georgia Hospital. It was formerly the tobacco factory of Smith and McCurdey.
The hospital opened May 19, 1862. A report of June 7, 1862 lists 86 patients but the capacity was over 125. It was destroyed in the evacuation fire.
General Hospital was located on the west side of 21st Street, between Main and Cary Streets about mid-block, just north of General Hospital #16.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)