General Hospital #20
Information about General Hospital #20 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
General Hospital #20 was also called Royster’s Hospital and First Alabama Hospital. It was formerly the tobacco factory of J. B. and A. L. Royster for Royster Brothers and Company.
The First Alabama Hospital was first located in Manchester, Virginia. After 1862 it was at 25th and Franklin Streets in Richmond and became General Hospital #20. It opened before June 1862. A report of June 4, 1862 lists 44 patients but the building had a very large capacity.
General Hospital #20 was located just south of Franklin Street on the east side of 25th Street.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)