From the Richmond Whig, 5/29/1862, p. 2, c. 1
THE HOSPITALS. - The scarcity of vegetables in our market contributes no little to the many difficulties with which our hospitals are attended. The effort now being made by the superintendents of these institutions to furnish their invalids with wholesome food are worthy of praise. The high price demanded by the hucksters for these delicacies so essential to the comfort of the sick, compels the ladies who are in charge to throw themselves upon the generosity of the country, and in their name we call upon our friends to send forward supplies under direction of committees that might be appointed to see them properly distributed. Without omitting intentionally any of these charitable institutions, we may be permitted to suggest the locality of two which have come under our observation.
Mrs. Tompkins' hospital, established nearly twelve months ago, is situated on the corner of Main and 3rd street, (formerly known as the residence of Judge John Robertson, and generously surrendered to her charge by this worthy citizen.) The Henningsen Hospital, in charge of the lady whose name it bears, is situated in Locust Alley, between Main and Franklin streets.