From the Richmond Enquirer, 9/4/1861, p. 3, c. 5
CLAY STREET HOSPITAL. - The building known as Clay Street Chapel, on Brooke Avenue, was, about two weeks since, by several benevolent persons in the neighborhood, converted into a private hospital. The managers now have eighty of our sick soldiers under their charge, many of whom, we are pleased to learn, are rapidly recovering.
The expenses of this hospital have been almost entirely sustained by contributions from the gentlemen and ladies immediately around it.