From the Richmond Dispatch, 9/3/1864, p.1, c. 6
Fires. – About half-past twelve o’clock Thursday night a fire broke out in the upper part of the brick stable in the rear of the residence of Mr. A, Sieberling, on the corner of Third and Clay streets. The roof and part of the flooring, together with some hay, were destroyed; but fortunately, no damage was done to anything in the lower part of the building. The property is owned by Mr. Sieberling but occupied jointly by himself and Mr. Charles Euker. The firemen were promptly on the spot and did effectual service.
A few minutes past one o’clock, while the firemen were returning to their engine-houses from the fire above mentioned, the alarm bells commenced ringing in Manchester, and they forthwith started over there at a full run. The cause of the alarm proceeded from the burning of three framed buildings, on Main street, a short distance from the cotton factory, occupied respectively by Alexander Baxter, Henry Worrell, and a number of servants belonging to a Mrs. Hall. Messrs. Baxter and Worrell saved all their furniture, but the servants, in whose house the fire originated, lost everything they had. It is believed that by the timely arrival of the steam-engine from this city a great deal of other property was saved. The first stream was gotten on by our firemen, and when the Manchester companies got to work they operated at one end of the fire and ours at the other.
In both cases it is supposed that the fires were the work of incendiaries.