From the Richmond Dispatch, 8/5/1864, p.1, c3

A Steamboat on the Canal. – A beautiful little side wheel steamer, called the “Minnie Gorgas,” so named after the daughter of the efficient head of the Ordnance Bureau, has recently been put upon the James River canal, and in point of appearance and speed presents a lively contrast to the slow moving, clumsy-looking boats that have heretofore had undisputed sway of this valuable source of communication through some of the most fertile counties in the State. She was built at the Bellona Arsenal, and is the property of the Confederate Government.

Go to top