Smith Factory Prison
Information about Smith Factory Prison in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
Smith Factory Prison was probably the same as General Hospital #17. It was also called Fourth Georgia Hospital. It was opened May 19, 1862.
Formerly tobacco factory of Smith and McCurdey, it was destroyed in evacuation fire.
A Report of June 7, 1862 lists 86 patients, but the capacity was over 125.
Smith Factory Prison was located on the west-side of 21st Street, between Main and Cary Streets, about mid-block, just north of General Hospital #16.