From the Richmond Enquirer, 3/4/1862
"CASTLE GODWIN." - This snug institution, hitherto known as McDaniel's negro jail, which has been selected as a secure retreat for the Unionists of Richmond, and for politically dispeptic characters from other portions of the State, is located in an obscure alley, on Franklin street, opposite to Wall; and, though accepted more as a matter of necessity than of choice, is, nevertheless, about as eligible a prison as could have been selected. It contains thirteen clear and well ventilated rooms, which have been provided with comfortable beds and other conveniences, far surpassing in cleanliness and in comfort, the accommodations offered at nine-tenths of the cheap boarding houses of Richmond. The establishment, which is of brick, and of recent construction, is presided over by Mr. George W. Clackner, of Baltimore, deputy Provost Marshall, and who, if suspected of unfitness to "keep a hotel" will soon demonstrate his entire ability to keep the Union prisoners confided to his charge. Mr. Clackner is assisted by Mr. George A. Freeburger, as Warden. An armed sentry keeps guard over the main entrance to the prison. The prisoners are supplied with meals from Bradford's Eating Saloon, on Franklin street.