Smith Factory Prison was probably the same as General Hospital #17. It was also called Fourth Georgia Hospital. It was opened May 19, 1862.

Formerly tobacco factory of Smith and McCurdey, it was destroyed in evacuation fire.

A Report of June 7, 1862 lists 86 patients, but the capacity was over 125.

Smith Factory Prison was located on the west-side of 21st Street, between Main and Cary Streets, about mid-block, just north of General Hospital #16.

From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964

Go to top