From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 4/22/1911, p. 10, c. 3
MAY BUY VAN LEW HOUSE
School Board Favors Its Purchase for New Bellevue School.
While no formal action was taken last night, owing to the lateness of the hour, members of the Committee of Finance expressed the opinion that there would be no opposition to the plan of the City School Board for expenditure of $41,000, guaranteed to be expended this year on new public schools, in acquiring sites. The only site on which the board has an option is the Van Lew property, on Grace Street, between Twenty-second and Twenty-third Streets, the price quoted being $25,000. The property is now owned by Dr. W. H. Parker, who once operated it as a sanatorium. It was formerly the home of the Virginia Club, and was during the war the historical rendezvous of Northern sympathizers. The residence occupies an entire block. About half of the block is level, and would give an ample site for a modern school building, while the lower half block is terraced, and if improved would add greatly to the appearance of the adjoining Taylor Hill Park, and might be used for playground purposes.
A site is proposed for Chimborazo School, to cost $11,000, and for a colored school, to cost $5,000.