From the Richmond Dispatch, 5/20/1863, p. 1, c. 6

Shockoe Hill Burying-Ground. – At the last meeting of the City Council an ordinance was introduced by Mr. Epps separating the office of Keeper of the City Alms House and Keeper of the Shockoe Hill Cemetery; which was passed.  Both had been formerly held by Capt. John Pearce; Superintendent of the Poor House. An election being gone into, Mr. Wm. J. Waldrop was chosen Superintendent of the Shockoe Hill Cemetery.  It is an office of considerable emolument.

Go to top