From the Richmond Times, 11/8/1901, p. 3, c. 4
CLUB’S NEW HOME.
Van Lew Residence Fitted Up for the Virginia Club.
The Virginia Club has moved into its new quarters in the Van Lew house, and preparations are being made now for the “Smoker” to be given by the club tomorrow night. The impression that the Club will be open to sight-seers is erroneous. It is designed as a private club house and will only be open to the members of the club and those invited by them.
The basement, formerly dark cellars, has been converted into a well-lighted hall, in which the pool and billiard tables have been placed. The bar adjoins this hall, on the basement floor. On the second floor are the reading-rooms, reception halls and two card rooms. The third floor will be given largely to card rooms. Mr. P. A. S. Brine, who has assumed management of the club, has his room and office upon this floor. In every part of the building there is hot and cold water and all the convenience of the most modern buildings. The most attractive feature of the club’s new home is the beautiful lawn surrounding it, covering more than a square, and abounding in shrubs and trees of most every variety. The hedges and terraces are now in a jungle, but already experienced gardeners are at work, clearing the lawn of its growth, and by spring a more beautiful place will not be found. Mr. Brine has many plans for improvement, and during the next few months will carry them out. The club has a membership of nearly 200 composed of gentlemen from every section of the city.