From the Virginia Citizen (Irvington, Va.), 6/3/1904, p. 1, c. 4
The old single-turreted monitor Montauk, one of the obsolete ironclads that rendered the United States valuable service in the war between the States, has returned to Richmond from Philadelphia to be broken up for old iron. It is rather a coincidence that the primitive old ironclad is to come back to Richmond, as for years it was anchored, along with others of the old monitor fleet, in James river.
These old war dogs were for years stationed about three miles below the city, but some years ago they were ordered to the League Island navy-yard, Philadelphia, and have been there ever since. Recently the Navy Department decided that they were useless, save for junk, and that they should be sold. In pursuance of that order the Montauk was sold and the Tredegar Company, of Richmond, became the purchaser.
The old ironclad is one of the type of vessels constructed during the war, immediately after the Virginia and the Monitor had demonstrated the value of iron ships of war and rendered obsolete the old wooden hulks, some of which still survive as training ships and quarantine vessels.