From the Richmond Dispatch, 8/8/1864, p.1, c. 6

Fire. – The alarm of fire about half-past nine o’clock on Saturday morning was caused by the burning of Rev. James A. Duncan’s kitchen, on Leigh street, between Second and Third. The fire was accidental and resulted in the partial destruction of the upper story and roof of the building. The servants lost all their clothing, except what they had on. Fifteen hundred dollars will probably cover the whole loss. The firemen were promptly on the ground and soon extinguished the flames.

Go to top