From the Richmond Dispatch, 12/14/1861, p. 2, c. 4
The Public Guard. – Since the Armory buildings were transferred to the Confederate States, the corps known as the Public Guard have lacked the accommodations necessary to the preservation of their efficiency. Instead of having a suitable barracks, the men are scattered in such places as the authorities were able to obtain, though altogether unsuitable and inconvenient. The construction of a new building in some eligible location, for permanent quarters, is desireable, and the General Assembly would do a good thing in adopting measures for such a purpose.