From the Richmond Dispatch, 5/1/1863, p. 1, c. 4
Drury’s Bluff – An extensive village has sprung up at this famous place. It is rarely the case that soldiers are so well accommodated as they are here. The commanding officer of the post is a brother of Gen. Lee. The natural beauty of the Bluff, situated as it is on an angle commanding a view of the river and surrounding country for many miles, has been much enhanced by the industry of man. – There are to be seen the defensive works, (the most complete in the country,) and the white tombstones erected over the remains of those who fell when the Yankees attacked the place. The trees are putting forth their leaves, and soon the whole place will wear a vernal aspect. Thousands of our citizens have visited the Bluff on the steamer Schultz, Capt. Dill? and all have returned pleased with their visit. Indeed we never heard of any visitors returning dissatisfied save the Yankees; but they came the wrong way.