Prison Depot (General Hospital #23)
Information about Prison Depot/General Hospital #23 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
Prison Depot functioned as both a prison and a hospital during the Civil War.
John. L. Ligon's Tobacco Warehouse was confiscated during the early part of 1861 and was used as a prison for Federal soldiers. This building later became General Hospital #23. This building was at times used as a hospital for Libby Prison and for baggage storage.
Prison Depot was also called Ligon's Factory Hospital, Liggon Factory Hospital, Ligion Factory Hospital, Prison Depot,and Prison No. 1.
It was formerly the tobacco factory of John L. Ligon and had 45 employees. Prison Depot was located at the southeast corner of 25th and Main Streets.