From the Richmond Whig, 9/12/1865, p. 4, c. 4

ARMORY. – Between the Canal and the James River, and close to the Tredegar Works, there stands a vast pile of roofless walls. This was the Confederate States Armory. The Provost guard has been removed therefrom, and a solitary watchman now wanders through the vast ruins. There is but one building standing with the roof on, and that is the rolling mill. In the centre of the yard are the naked walls of a fine house, in which General Gorgas had a snug residence, rent free. Here and there are piles of old iron, such as shaftings, pulleys, unfinished gun barrels, and some bar iron, together with a few smith’s tools. There is, too, a large pile of coal, but from long exposure to the weather, it is of little value. Under each wing of the building there is a sluice leading from the Canal, through which the water poured in and set in motion two vast wheels by which all the machinery was worked. If the State does not re-establish an Armory there, the site of the building would be one of the finest in the country for large machine works.

Go to top