From the Richmond Daily Dispatch, Wednesday, 5/13/1863, page 1.


The funeral procession which yesterday took place in token of regard for the lamented Jackson afforded the best evidence of the high estimation in which the deceased was held by the country which is now called to mourn over his death.

On Monday night the remains of the lamented chieftain were embalmed, and about 11 o'clock, yesterday, in pursuance of public announcement, were taken from the mansion of the Governor, through several of the main thoroughfares of the city, to the Capitol, where they were laid in state, and were viewed for the last time by his many friends and admirers. Long before the appointed hour for the procession to move a dense crowd had congregated on the Square to pay the last sad tribute of respect to one whom all delighted to honor. The solemn tolling of the bells and the firing of minute guns gave notice that the ceremonies were about to commence, and at 11 o'clock, in obedience to an order of Major General Elzey, the body, which had been placed in a metallic burial-case, was removed from the reception room of the Governor's mansion and placed in a hearse in attendance. The procession then took up the line of march down Governor street in the following order:

1st. Military escort, composed of part of Gen. Pickett's division.
2nd. The Public Guard, Lieut. Gay commanding.
3rd. The Camp Guard at Camp Lee, about one hundred in number, under command of Lieut. Trabue.
4th. Six pieces of Dearing's battery, commanded by Capt. Blunt.
5th. The 21st battalion Virginia cavalry, Major Wrenn commanding.
6th. The hearse, containing the coffin in which was enclosed the remains of the lamented hero; which was adorned by six mourning plumes, and drawn by four white horses. The burial case was wrapped in a Confederate flag. Grouped around the hearse as pall bearers were the following officers: Gens. Ewell, Winder, Elzey, George H. Stewart, Churchill, Garnett, Corse, and Kemper, and Com. French Forrest. The hearse was followed by a number of the original "Stonewall brigade."
7th. President Davis and Vice-President Stephens, in a carriage.
8th. The members of the Cabinet and chief officers of the Government, led by the Secretary of War.
9th. The officers connected with the staff of Lieut.-Gen. Jackson, mounted, with appropriate badges of mourning.
10th. The Governor of Virginia, and other State officers, and the members of the City Council of Richmond.

These were followed by a large number of military and civil dignitaries, mounted and on foot. The rout of the procession was down Governor street to Main, up Main to Second, up Second to Grace, and down Grace to the West gate of the Capitol Square, where all entered except the military escort, which filed up 9th street.

On arriving at the Capitol the coffin containing the remains of the lamented hero, borne by the bearers, was conveyed to the large hall in the Southern end of the building, and the doors thrown open to afford an opportunity to the eager crowd to look upon the features of one whose death they regarded as a great national calamity. Good order was observed, and the dense crowd slowly made its way through the rotunda into the large hall where the coffin laid, and as they passed gazed for the last time upon all that is mortal of the gallant dead.

Many of the ladies, as they passed, shed tears over the remains, and, in token of their deep regard for the memory of the noble chieftain, pressed their lips upon the lid of his coffin. Witnessing the deep feeling of sorrow manifested by these fair daughters of Virginia, an elderly and respectable-looking gentleman addressed them in tones of condolence, as follows: "Weep not; all is for the best. Though Jackson has been taken from the head of his corps, his spirit is now pleading our cause at the bar of God."

For hours after the coffin had been placed in the large hall thousands continued to crowd in and around the Capitol, awaiting their turn for a last look at the features fixed in death. – The coffin which contained the remains of the deceased was a metallic one, with glass door over the face. On the coffin was a silver plate, upon which was engraved the simple inscription:

"Lieutenant-General T. J. Jackson. Born January 21st, 1824; died May 10, 1863." All the incidents connected with these interesting, but melancholy ceremonies, were marked by a deep feeling of sorrow. Eyes unused to weep were suffused with tears, and the great popular heart pulsated with emotions of grief too deep for utterance.

It is understood that the remains of the deceased will this morning be conveyed from the Capitol of Virginia to his late home, Lexington, Rockbridge county, where they will be interred.

Go to top