From the Richmond Enquirer, 7/6/1861, p. 3, c. 4
THE FOURTH. – Notwithstanding the absence of most of our military companies in the field, whose presence generally gives an éclat to the ceremonies of the day, the ever memorable fourth was celebrated on Thursday last with a spirit which circumstances scarcely induced us to expect. Business in the city was very generally suspended, and our citizens spent the day in social intercourse, in discussing the peculiar circumstances by which we are now surrounded and we hope in contemplating the life of those sages who have made the Fourth of July the brightest in our calendar.
The sunrise salute was fired by Capt. Stanard's company, the Thomas artillery. Early in the morning Capt. Pott's company of minute men – a home guard – after parading on the Square, left for the purpose of spending the day, or a part of it, socially at some retreat near the city. About 9 o'clock the Tredegar Battalion, comprising four companies, formed by the artisans at the Tredegar Works, and numbering about three hundred and fifty men, all well uniformed and armed, marched to the Capitol Square, where, under the command of Col. J. R. Anderson, they performed several battalion evolutions with which the observers appeared much delighted.
Later in the day the Public Guard, under command of Lieut. Gay, proceeded to the Square and went through those military exercises the performance of which has rendered the Guard so celebrated.
The evening salute was fired by the New Orleans Washington artillery.
We have never known more order and sobriety on the fourth than the city exhibited. All appeared to enjoy themselves, yet it was an enjoyment that brought no pains or regrets for the morrow.