From the Richmond Times, 1/7/1903, p. 7, c. 5
Dr. William F. Farrar.
Dr. William Field Farrar, for nearly fifty years a practicing physician in Richmond and Henrico county, died yesterday morning at his residence, No. 701 East Franklin Street, after a long and hopeless illness.
Five years ago his health failed, and since that time he had not been an practitioner.
Dr. Farrar was born in King William county, there spent his youth until in the early fifties, when he entered the Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, from which he graduated two years later, and returned to Richmond to practice his profession.
In the county and the city he soon built up a large practice, and established drugstores, which were a source of considerable income. When the war broke out, Dr. Farrar was appointed surgeon in the Confederate army, and served with distinction, for a time being in charge of the old Chimborazo Hospital, and in this capacity, served during the last years of the war.
He was twice married, his second wife, a Miss Davidson, of Richmond, dying a little over two years ago. Five children survive him. They are, by his first marriage: Mrs. J. F. Pace, of South Hill; Mrs. R.H. Sutherland, of Denver, Col.; by his second wife: Dr. Joseph D. Farrar, of Philadelphia; Miss Lillian Farrar and Mr. R. Vivian Farrar, of Richmond.
He leaves one sister, Mrs. Lizzie Halstead, of No. 809 West Main Street.
The funeral service will take place at 3:30 o’clock this afternoon from the Second Presbyterian Church.