From the Richmond Dispatch, 8/16/1898, p. 3, c. 4

Walkways at Shockoe-Hill Grown Up So Graves Cannot Be Found.

The Committee on Cemeteries convened at 7:30 o’clock, with five members present – Messrs. Blanks, Grimes, Whittet, Miner, and Gibson.

The pay-rolls of the cemeteries, aggregating for fifteen days $197.50, and sundry bills, reaching a total of $39, were ordered to be paid.

A general discussion of the condition of Shockoe Hill Cemetery followed, each member adding some evidence that it was not at present properly cared for. The President related the fact that only the other day a party of visitors had tried to find the grave of Chief-Justice Marshall, but nobody could find it. The roads and paths greatly needed cleaning up. On motion, the chairman was directed to consult with the Superintendent of the Almshouse as to the best method to adopt to have the cemetery better cared for.

The order entered at last meeting allowing a portion of the employees at the cemeteries to quit work at 4 o’clock Saturday afternoons were changed so as to make it include all cemetery employees.

Go to top