Information about the Jackson Hospital in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
Jackson Hospital was located "in the western suburbs beyond Hollywood Cemetery." It was bounded by the present City streets of Idlewood Avenue on the north, Jacquelin Street on the south, Allen Avenue in the west, and Lombardy Street in the east. A common military road (present Allen Avenue) joined it with Winder Hospital.
Jackson Hospital was opened on June 29 1863 "midway between Camp Lee and Winder." It had 40 acres of gardens and an excellent library and 49 buildings.
The original capacity was 1980, but it was reported to have been enlarged to, or able to handle, 2500. On May 9, 1864 it was reported to be "filled with North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia troops from battles" in northern Virginia.
Jackson Hospital was named for General Thomas J. Jackson.
Jackson Hospital furnished three companies of African American Confederate troops from amongst employees. They served "in the lines under fire" and had " a public drill in the Capitol Square" along with those from Winder Hospital. Their company commanders were: Captains A. Lockett, W. M. Baxley, and T. R. Calvin, in March 1865.
Jackson Hospital was used by Federal occupation forces until September 30, 1865 for Confederate prisoners.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.