Second Alabama Hospital
Information about the 2nd Alabama Hospital in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
Second Alabama Hospital served as both a prison and hospital during the Civil War.
Second Alabama Hospital was also known as Yarbrough's Factory Hospital and Turpin's Factory Hospital. It was located in a tobacco factory building of Turpin and Yarbrough on the Southwest corner of 25th and Franklin Streets.
With a capacity of more than 125, the hospital was opened before June 1862 and was still in operation in late 1863. It was attached to and part of General Hospital #21.
Mrs. Juliet Ann Opie Hopkins (Mrs. Judge A. F. Hopkins) administered it and all other Alabama hospitals in Richmond.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.