From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 10/23/1906, p. 12, c. 4
LONG AND USEFUL LIFE NOW ENDED.
Dr. O. A. Crenshaw, One of Richmond’s Leading Physicians, Passes Away.
NOTABLE SERVICE IN WAR
As Director in Army and as Head of Chimborazo Hospital He Did Fine Work.
In the death yesterday about noon of Dr. O. A. Crenshaw, Richmond loses one of her oldest and most distinguished physicians.
Dr. Crenshaw had been confined to his residence, No. 308 East Main Street, only one week. He had been a practitioner in this city half a century or more, and was by all regarded as a man of highest character and a physician of uncommon ability. He rendered the Confederacy notable service during the war, being at one time in charge of the famous Chimborazo Hospital.
Dr. Crenshaw was born in Goochland county in August, 1822. He had been engaged in the practice of medicine in this city for over half a century. He was a student at the College of William and Mary, spent a year in the Medical College of Virginia of this city, and graduated in medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in 1844. He was a great friend of Dr. McCaw, with whom he practiced on the James River for ten years, and with whom he was frequently in consultation afterwards. Finding this work too arduous for him, Dr. Crenshaw went to Europe, where he studied medicine in Paris for a year. On his return he came to this city, and had practiced continuously since then, with the exception of the interim of the Civil War. During the war Dr. Crenshaw was medical director of the Army of Western Virginia, head physician of the hospital at the White Sulphur Springs and head physician at the hospital in this city located at Chimborazo Park. He was also on the medical board in this city.
During the early part of his life, when he was practicing on the James River, Dr. Crenshaw lived with his aunt at Westover. He married Mrs. Joseph Anderson, by whom he had three children – Thomas Pemberton and Norris Crenshaw, both now dead, and Miss Octavia Crenshaw. He is survived also by two step-children – Mr. John T. Anderson and Mrs. Richard Ely, of Madison, Wis. He was a brother of Mr. Miles Crenshaw, by whom he is likewise survived.
Dr. Crenshaw was a fine gentleman of the old school, unobtrusive and of a gentle disposition. As a practitioner he enjoyed a large and lucrative practice. He was a member of St. Paul’s Church.
The funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.
The medical profession of the city is invited to meet with the Richmond Academy of Medicine and Surgery to take suitable action in regard to the death of Dr. Crenshaw. The meeting will take place to-night at the T. P. A. Building, corner of Third and Main Streets