From the Washington (D.C.) Critic, 7/13/1888, p. 1, c. 2
DR. GARNETT’S FUNERAL.
Services to be Held at Epiphany Church at Noon Tom-morrow.
Mr. Leigh Robinson and Undertaker Barker went to Rehoboth Beach, Del., yesterday and brought the remains of Dr. A. Y. P. Garnett to this city. The body was embalmed and this afternoon taken to the residence of Mr. W. D. Cabell, 1407 Massachusetts avenue northwest, where a number of friends of the deceased called to view the remains.
Dr. Garnett’s remains were carried to the residence of his old friend, Mr. Cabell, on account of the serious illness of his daughter-in-law at his late residence. The vestry of Epiphany Church decided to have the body remain in the church until the funeral occurred, but the other arrangement was made first. The funeral will take place from the Epiphany Church at 12 o’clock to-morrow. The full name of the deceased was Alexander Yelverton Payton Garnett.
The body reposes in a handsome black-cloth casket and upon the silver plate is engraved:
“Alexander Yelverton Peyton Garnett, born September 19, 1820; died July 11, 1888.”
The face of the dead physician looks very life-like, and those who knew him in life will scarcely note a single change in the countenance.
The following gentlemen will act as pallbearers: Ross Perry, W. H. Clagget, Conway Robinson, and Drs. C. E. Hagner, Harrison, Tyler, Hamilton and Dr. G. N. Acker.
The honorary pallbearers will be Professor W. D. Cabell, Assistant Secretary Thompson, Hon. Randolph Tucker, Dr. N. S. Lincoln, Dr. Toner and W. H. Trescott.
The Medical Society of the District will meet to-night to take appropriate action.